Monday, June 6, 2011

Final Exam

What seemed like the longest and hardest day of my life, is finally over and I can breathe a sigh of relief (after a well deserved strawberry martini I might add). Today was my practical final exam. Weeks of sculpting and pouring gelatin moulds are over, and today I was put to the test of creating my monster of a final. I am lucky enough to have a boyfriend that let me use his face and body as my guinea pig and transform him into what is my creepiest work yet. I wanted to create something that scared me. My inspiration came from what I think it's the scariest place - the deep sea. We know more about outter space than we do about the depths of our Earth's ocean, and that creeps me out. A great example of a terrifying underwater creature that I can't even believe actually exists is the Angler Fish. If you've watched Finding Nemo, you'll know what I'm talking about when I say "the scary fish with the light bulb on it's head". They look like this:



I can't even begin to describe all the hard work that was put into this special effects makeup, all I can say is we had from 9:30am - 3:30pm to complete it. I'd like to add, as a side project, my awesome cousin let me into his denturist lab and together we created a really cool set of custom teeth for my exam. They really pulled the whole look together and I am so grateful they turned out even better than I had expected. My boyfriend also helped me out with the light fixture, he even made it turn on and off. Talk about WOW factor!

Latex bald cap
 Light & wires running underneath latex prosthetic piece
Gelatin custom prosthetic face piece.
Airbrush & hand painted
Bottom fake teeth made with sculpy
Custom upper set character teeth

 






Behold, half Man half Angler fish

xox Celina

1 comment: